GPM #4 - “Lunacy” - SR250 Café Racer
THIS BIKE IS
FOR SALE, SOLD.
Features and awards…
A quick summary…
This bike was bought like this…
and was turned into this…
The bike started it’s amazing transformation in mid 2008 with it’s then owner Ben (Internet Alias = lunar_c). In early 2011, Ben had progressed well (albeit slowly) but found he had more important things to do in life like proposing to his lady and study/work.
Ben decided that the bike should be bought by someone who wanted (and was able) to finish it according to his original concept. Ben listed the bike for sale in his build thread on the Perth Street Bikes Forum and we made an offer he couldn’t refuse.
We then got stuck into the project with the view of entering it into the 4th Jap Bike Show held in Perth 2011. Of course like all partly completed projects there were unexpected problems that had to be overcome. We were able to overcome enough of them for the bike to win first place in the “Cafe Racer Class”
Apart from causing a bit of a stir at the show, the bike has attracted a lot of attention on both its build threads. (Check them out to see all the time and effort that went into this bike)
Do The Ton build thread (started 22nd Sept. 2008)
- Ranked #1 out of 1900+ “Cafe Racers" on the Do The Ton Forum for number of views with over 60,000 views
- Ranked #36 out of 1900+ “Cafe Racers" on the Do The Ton Forum for number of replies with over 280 Replies
Perth Street Bikes Build Thread (started 24th Feb. 2009)
- Ranked #1 out of 500+ “Members Projects" on the Perth Street Bikes Forum for number of views with over 100,000 views
- Ranked #2 out of 500+ “Members Projects" on the Perth Street Bikes Forum for number of replies with over 890 replies
- Ranked #7 out of 500+ “Members Projects" on the Perth Street Bikes Forum for ratings (5/5 stars)
Lunacy (loo-nu-see): Foolish or senseless behaviour
So why did we call the bike "Lunacy" ?
- Choosing a SR250 as a base for a cafe racer!
- Building a bike for 4 years and then selling it when it was so close to being finished.
- We took on someone else’s partly completed project!
- The original owners internet alias is “lunar_c”
Here are a few pics from our recent studio shoot.
If you like the photos and need a good photographer, give Scott a call, he’s a bloody champion photographer! - Scott G Trenorden Photography
Some of the comments we’ve had about the bike…
- "looks AMAZING!" - lwb
- "very nice" - Commander Keen
- "incredible, tank detail is a nice touch" - jaseyjase
- "Awsome pics Rex, I bet you and Lunar_c are both stoked with the end result. Great work mate." - Tbird tracker
- "Great to see this finished. I’ve been following the build and Lunar’s ideas for quite a while and even with a change of owner its come up trumps - you’ve really done it justice Rex. Nice small touches too, retro style indicators, fork gaitors etc. They all finish the theme well. Top work." - CBT
- "Although it’s a coffin tank, it’s got sex curves!" - hummingbird
- "It looks amazing dude! You have finished it off exactly the way I envisioned and done a great job.” - lunar_c
- "Hey Rex, Nice feature on pipeburn! 2 in a week ,the naysayers will be getting nervous!” - N8
- "i know you’ve probably heard it a shit-ton of times, but well done on the lunacy. f-ing sick bike man!" - Wolf
This bike has found a new owner, look out for Stewie on the streets of Subiaco.